Pasadena MD, 21122
Senior Engineering Technician with over 10 years of experience working in a prototype design and development
environment. Background in both the commercial telecom industry and the military defense-contracting
field with current Top Secret/SBI clearances. Strong communication and technical skills with a creative
desire to manifest new and exciting ideas and concepts into real working solutions.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE_ ______________________________
Senior Engineering Technician February 2001 – March 2002 Ciena Corporation, Linthicum, MD
• Designed and developed prototype optical/electrical assemblies for use in engineering studies and testing
purposes, e.g. 10Gbps Q Receiver Boards, Modulator Boards and Data Distributor Boards.
• Performed modifications to 10GHz Transceiver Modules per engineer instructions.
• Assisted in measuring optical system parameters such as dispersion, insertion loss, polarization dependent
loss, optical time domain reflectivity and polarization mode dispersion.
• Acquired racks, modules and test equipment necessary to set up and power new OC- 192 optical communication
test beds per engineering specifications.
• Assembled systems and made all necessary fiber optic interconnections between equipment and test beds.
• Responsible for support, function and upgrading of L Band, DCM and Amplifier test beds.
• Troubleshot systems using CRAFT (factory loaded software), power meters and visible fault locators.
• Installed DFB lasers into 10GHz test bed and tuned to proper frequencies.
• Fabricated power harnesses for use in bench top testing of modules.
• Ensured timely calibration of all test equipment within labs.
• Created and maintained spreadsheet inventory of available modules for LWS Group.
• Designed layout and interacted with vendors to acquire all necessary materials and equipment for the
implementation of a new optical/electrical lab.
• Coordinated with engineering on the disassembly and reassembling of test beds, power and fiber hook
• Maintained engineering lab supplies, equipment, documentation and appearance.
CARL GONCE PAGE 2
Senior Developmental Lab Assistant Technician August 1987 – January 2001
Northrop Grumman, Oceanic Systems, Annapolis, MD Clearances: Yes
• Developed engineering ideas and concepts into basic designs working from sketches, schematics, drawings
and manufacturing processes.
• Developed, assembled and wired state-of-the-art sonar transducers, complex electromechanical assemblies,
encapsulated units, engineering models, prototypes and deliverable systems.
• Working knowledge of many types of potting compounds, adhesives and UV Conformal Coatings.
• Assisted design and manufacturing engineers with techniques to fabricate hardware using tooling fixtures
to maintain specified tolerances.
• Checked alignment and fit after wiring, performed continuity checks and marked up drawing and wire
tabs to submit to engineering for review.
• Responsible for training Sykesville, MD. Mfr. Group in the mechanical/electrical assembly of TR-343
• Assisted in the design and development of the SATCOM Power Supply and Video Distribution Chassis for
use on the Advanced SEAL Delivery System.
• Received solder certifications for MIL-STD 454,WS6536, MIL-STD-2000 and Joint Industry Standard J-STD-001B.
• Responsible for relocating electrical subassemblies of ADCAP program from Cleveland, OH. To Annapolis,
• Received award for 7 years perfect attendance.
Field Service and Bench Technician October 1986 – August 1987
Cash Register Sales and Service, Baltimore, MD
• Troubleshot and repaired business machines such as: Sanyo, Data Terminal Systems (DTS), Casio, Sony
and IBM computers.
• Repairs took place on the bench and in the field throughout Maryland and Virginia area at approximately
• Tested parts to component level and repair the machine to working order.
National Technology Transfer, Inc. Certificate
Certified Fiber Optics Installer
Arundel Institute of Technology Diploma Baltimore,
Basic Electronics, Solid State Electronics, Communications
Theory and Practice and Digital Electronics